I once went to a town in the north of England on business.
It was about 7：30 in the evening when I reached the hotel. The manageress，a strict old lady of about 60，showed me to my room. When I asked her what time dinner was，she said there was only one sitting at 6：30，and I had 1 it.
“Never mind，”I said.“I'm not very 2. I‘ll just have a drink in the bar(酒吧)and a sandwich.”
“Bar!”she 3her voice.“This is a respectable hotel，young man. If you want 4，you must go somewhere else.”She spoke 5a glass of beer was a dangerous drug.
I went to a bar and had some beer and sandwiches and then went to the cinema. At about 11：30 I 6. Everything was in darkness. I knocked at the door，but nothing happened. The 7sound was the church clock opposite，which suddenly struck the half-hour with such 8that it made me jump. 9a window opened upstairs. The old lady 10and asked me what was going on. I explained who I was and she let me 11after ten minutes'wait. She was in her nightdress. She told me seriously that guests were 12to be back in the hotel by 11 o‘clock.
I went to bed but could not sleep. Every quarter of an hour the church clock struck and at midnight the whole hotel shook with the noise. Just before dawn，I finally 13.
When I arrived at 14，everyone else had nearly 15and there was not enough coffee to go round.
“Did you 16well，young man?”the old lady asked.
“17，I don't think I could go through 18 night in that room，”I replied.“I hardly slept at all.”
“That's because you were 19 all night drinking!”she said angrily，putting 20 to the conversation.
1. A. had B. passed C. missed D. caught
2. A. hungry B. sleepy C. tired D. happy
3. A. lost B. lowered C. dropped D. raised
4. A. beer B. coffee C. milk D. tea
5. A. even if B. since C. although D. as if
6. A. went to bed B. walked to a club
C. returned to the hotel D. drove to a restaurant
7. A. only B. sharp C. sweet D. last
8. A. effort B. force C. power D. attraction
9. A. Firstly B. Wonderfully C. Unfortunately D. Finally
10. A. came out B. got up C. looked out D. woke up
11. A. down B. out C. back D. in
12. A. ordered B. expected C. taught D. encouraged
13. A. fell asleep B. went to bed C. got up D. gave in
14. A. a decision B. breakfast C. once D. the office
15. A. arrived B. done C. finished D. started
16. A. play B. sleep C. eat D. do
17. A. First of all B. Never mind C. To tell you the truth D. As a result
18. A. one B. another C. such D. any
19. A. away B. here C. down D. up
20. A. an end B. a saying C. a joke D. a pause
1. C 2. A 3. D 4. A 5. D 6. C 7. A 8. B 9. D 10. C
11. D 12. B 13. A 14. B 15. C 16. B 17. C 18. B 19. D 20. A